Dental Implants are a good option for replacing missing or damaged teeth. Implants are manufactured anchors that look like cylinders or screws. They are artificial replacements for natural tooth roots. They are made up of titanium and other materials that are compatible with the human body. Dental implants are posts that are surgically placed in your jawbone so that they operate as a strong foundation for replacement teeth. They are designed to blend in with your surrounding teeth.
Implants are a long-term treatment option to replace one or multiple teeth that may last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance.
Dental implants are titanium root forms, or anchors, that are similar in appearance to a screw. Once it is implanted into the ridge of the bone and healing (osseointegration) occurs, these anchors can be used to attach artificial teeth such as crowns, bridges, partials, and dentures. A temporary tooth is placed on top of the implant as the healing process takes place to ensure the space for the final restoration does not close and to allow you to chew properly. These temporary teeth look similar to real ones. From the replacement of a single missing tooth to extensive reconstruction, dental implants offer the healthiest and most natural-looking result.
Dental Implant Advantages
- Improved Speech – Implants look and feel like natural teeth. Often times when patients are missing teeth or wear ill-fitting dentures or partials they have difficulty with speech that has a lisp or sounds mumbled or slurred.
- Increased Comfort – Implants help resolve temporomandibular joint pain or bite problems that result from teeth drifting into the areas where teeth are missing.
- Restore Chewing and Digestion – Ill-fitting dentures that slide around while eating do not allow for proper chewing of food which leads to digestive issues. Implant supported dentures allow you to chew your food well enough to facilitate proper digestion.
- Easier Maintenance – You brush and floss your implant as you do your natural teeth unlike a bridge that requires extra effort to floss the underside. If an issue develops with any of the teeth involved in a bridge the entire bridge will have to be replaced.
- Enhanced Appearance – Implants provide a more youthful appearance by preventing further bone loss. When you lose a tooth, you also lose bone as your other teeth shift in an attempt to fill the space. Bone loss, left unchecked, will result in a collapsed and sunken in face which in turn causes further wrinkles and sagging skin. Dental implants can make you look years, or even decades younger. This prevention of bone loss is an added benefit that dentures and partials alone cannot match.
- Rejuvenate Your Smile and Your Confidence – Quality implants offer beauty, form and function as well as reassurance. Implants give renewed confidence as you need not be concerned with missing teeth or shifting dentures while you eat or speak. With your dazzling new smile you’ll be eager to smile broadly for the camera, enjoy a dinner date, and chat with friends like you used to!
- Replace One or More Missing Teeth without Affecting Adjacent Teeth – Dental implants rely upon osseointegration, which is the fusing of bone to the artificial implant root, for support rather than adjacent teeth leaving no need to alter healthy teeth. Since implants are not supported by nearby teeth it does not cause them additional stress which in turn helps preserve them.
Your current oral health status and age may play a part in whether or not dental implants are an option for you. At Rock Family Dental, our dentists will examine these factors, as well as dental implants cost as they are determining the best and most affordable recommendations for the treatment of missing teeth.